Learning & Resources
The UC Managing Implicit Bias Series is a six-course online training series designed to increase awareness of implicit bias and reduce its impact in the workplace. The series reinforces our IDEA values that enable the Lab and UC to attract and retain a top talent workforce, and it further supports our commitment to developing effective leaders and managers of people.
Employees may complete individual courses, or the entire series. Those who complete all six online courses will receive the UC Systemwide Managing Implicit Bias Certificate. The series contains six self-paced, online interactive courses. Each course is 15-20 minutes in length.
The series is also a core requirement to the UC Systemwide People Management Series and Certificate. As a People Manager, it is especially important to be aware of implicit bias and how it impacts the way we work and interact with others.
Quick Reference Guides from UC Implicit Bias Series:
Toolkits for Implicit Bias:
- Why don't more women win science Nobels? – Chicago Tribune, 2019
- How Implicit Bias and Lack of Diversity Undermine Science – Scientific American, 2018
- Fighting implicit bias in STEM with increased cognitive control – MIT, 2018
- The False Promise of Meritocracy – The Atlantic, 2015
- The abrasiveness trap: High-achieving men and women are described differently in reviews – Fortune, 2014
- Orchestrating Impartiality: The Impact of “Blind” Auditions on Female Musicians – The American Economic Review, 2000
Click HERE to view additional Good Reads on implicit bias
- Deloitte's New Survey Reveals That Microaggressions Are More Common Than You Think – Forbes, 2019
- Diversity Is Pointless Without Balanced Conversations – Chief Executive, 2020
- Did you really just say that? – American Psychological Association, 2017
- Students See Many Slights as Racial ‘Microaggressions’ – The New York Times, 2014
- How to Respond to Microaggressions - the New York Times, 2020
- NPR: Code Switch - How Startups Are Using Tech To Try And Fight Workplace Bias
- NPR: TED Radio Hour - Bias and Perception, a Four Part Series
- NPR: Invisibilia - The Culture Inside
- NPR: Freakonomics - What Are Gender Barriers Made Of?
- NPR: Hidden Brain - The Double Bind For Women In Leadership